There is something very personal about a quilt. An unfinished quilt can be transformed into a work of art by adding different designs and patterns. You can achieve different quilt looks with a free motion sewing machine. Whether you’re a seasoned quilter or just getting started! But with so many options on the market, it can be overwhelming to know where to start. But fear not! We’ll guide you through the best sewing machines for free motion quilting, so you can focus on creating beautiful, intricate designs without any frustration. Ready to get stitching? Let’s go!
Difference between a quilting sewing machine and a regular sewing machine
One of the main differences is the throat size. This will be so helpful when working on large projects, such as quilts. You will greatly benefit from the large throat if you would like to free-motion quilt your own quilt. It would be nice to have a long arm, but,
While you might not be quite ready to invest in a longarm machine for free-motion quilting, if you are dreaming of a better sewing machine.
In case you have a larger budget as a beginner and are prepared to delve into the world of quilting more deeply, here are the top picks for you below. Look after their features and make your choice without any hesitation. But before that look after the factors to consider!
Features to consider:
Large throat space
You should look for a machine with a large throat space, adjustable speed, and a bobbin thread that is easy to manage. Additionally, you should make sure that the machine can handle both straight and zigzag stitching.
Check for quality
You should look for a machine that is built with durable materials, has reliable parts, and is backed by a good warranty. Additionally, you should make sure that the machine is well-maintained and that it is free from any defects.
Consider the needle down button
Considering the needle down button is essential. This feature allows the needle to automatically stop in the fabric when you lift your foot off the pedal, ensuring accuracy and ease of use. The needle down button is especially handy when pivoting or turning the fabric when free motion quilting. Combined with the speed adjust feature, quilting becomes effortless and quicker, allowing you to work on more intricate designs with ease.
It is important to choose a quilting model that allows for easy tension adjustment since quilting requires regular tension adjustments. There are even models with computerized tension adjusters.
Look for High-Speed Sewing: 800-1,600 spm
The speed capability of a sewing machine is crucial when choosing one for free-motion quilting. For quilters who want to finish their projects quickly and efficiently, high-speed sewing machines can sew up to 1,600 stitches per minute.
Look for a quilting machine that produces high quality stitches even when quilting at high speed. In order to make long, uniform lines in a bed quilt, for example, you need to work with long, uniform stitches.
Consider simultaneous bobbin
The simultaneous bobbin feature streamlines and simplifies the process. The bobbin winder allows continuous winding of the bobbin while sewing. As a result, you’ll be more productive and efficient, which leads to greater efficiency and productivity.
Best Sewing Machines for Free Motion Quilting
Continuing the search for the best sewing machine for free motion quilting, the JUKI HZL-F600 is a top pick. It also excels in stitch quality, ensuring that your finished project looks professional and precise. This machine weighs approximately 21 pounds and measures 23” x 14” x 16”, making it a solid and reliable option for your quilting needs. For those seeking to exceed their sewing and quilting expectations, the JUKI HZL-F600 brings industrial power and quality to your home.
- With a large LCD display and easy pattern selection, this high-powered computerized machine offers 225 different stitch patterns, giving quilters endless design possibilities.
- It has a foot controller on the heel side of the machine trims both needle and bobbin threads automatically.
- With a steel feed dog and improved presser foot construction, HZL has powerful feeding. Sewing heavy materials, such as hemming denim jeans, is easy!
- Easy to operate,
- The multi-functional design developed for superior quilting, home decor, and garment construction.
- Extended sewing table
- Sensor method button holes.
- With the knee-lifting lever, you can raise and lower the presser foot.
Brother PQ1500SL Sewing and Quilting Machine
As one of the top recommended sewing machines for free motion quilting, the Brother PQ1500SL certainly lives up to its reputation. With its impressive speed of 1,500 stitches per minute, this machine allows quilters to work quickly and efficiently. It’s no wonder why this machine is a must-have for serious quilters and seamstresses alike. Overall, it is a powerful and versatile tool.
- The automatic needle threader and drop-in top bobbin also make threading and setting up a breeze.
- Additionally, the PQ1500SL offers advanced features such as an adjustable pin feed mechanism, four feed dog settings, and a knee lifter and bed extension table for quilting.
- Large quilting projects are made easier with an extension table. With a size of 12″ x 18″, it can hold larger projects to allow for even feeding.
- Sewing machine unit, power cord, and foot pedal
- 7 presser feet
- Knee lifter
- Adjustable zipper/piping foot
- Affordably priced in comparison with other brands’ models
Janome MC6650 Sewing and Quilting Machine
The Janome MC6650 Sewing and Quilting Machine is a top choice for free-motion quilting enthusiasts. With its drop-in bobbin system and full rotary metal hook, this machine runs quietly and needs less lubrication. It also offers a variety of stitch options, including embroidery, lettering, buttonholes, and more. What sets it apart is its ability to handle high-speed free-motion stitching, thanks to its special stitch-regulating foot. While some users may find it challenging to work on large quilts using a regular sewing machine, the Janome MC6650 overcomes this problem with its 7-inch arm. Its quality and efficiency make it a go-to choice for both beginner and experienced quilters.
- Turn the dial to change the presser foot pressure on the fabric to achieve the desired results.
- Vertical thread delivery is possible with the retractable thread guide. Twin needle sewing can be made efficient with the use of perfectly placed thread cones.
- By using the last stitch recall feature, you can access programmed stitches even after the sewing machine has been turned off, such as a label for a custom project.
- Superior needle threader
- An easy-to-use conversion kit with two plates included
- 10″ all-metal seamless flatbed
- 6 LEDs in 3 locations.
- Memorized needle up/down
- 12 included accessory feet
SINGER Stylist 7258 Sewing Machine
The SINGER Stylist 7258 Sewing Machine is a great option for those looking for a versatile machine for both sewing and quilting. With over 100 stitch options and ten presser feet included, this machine offers great value for its price. While it may be one of the slower machines on the market at 750 stitches per minute, it’s still a reliable choice. Overall, the SINGER Stylist 7258 Sewing Machine is a solid pick. With its ease of use and included accessories, it’s a great option for both beginners and intermediate sewers.
- With the buttonhole presser foot, you can do two bartacks, two keyholes, and two round end stitches in one step. Moreover, this machine offers one endless buttonhole.
- This machine has a slider that controls the machine’s speed. By using a bar graph, you can determine which direction to push the slider to increase or decrease the maximum speed.
- The programmable needle up/down feature is a helpful addition, ensuring that your fabric stays in place when you stop sewing.
- 10 presser feet
- 100 stitch options
- Electronic autopilot
- Programmable needle speed
- LED display screen
- Computerized functionality
Baby Lock Jubilant Sewing and Quilting Machine
Are you looking for a machine that can perform a variety of tasks yet is small enough to take on the road, to a class, or even to the house of a friend? Then yes, you have made the right choice by choosing the Jubilant. A variety of sewing projects can be completed with this machine, including quilt piecing, small home décor projects, and basic garments, with this machine, you have lots of chances to let your creativity shine.
- Create your own stitch library to personalize every project with 80 stitches including one-step buttonholes
- With the quick-step drop in robbin, feed the thread through the slot, and let your machine do the rest.
- With built-in needle threader, you won’t have to worry about guesswork, near-misses, or frustration! Getting your needle threaded is as easy as a few simple movements.
- Variable stitch width up to 7mm
- An adjustable stitch length of 0-5mm is available
- Sewing speed up to 850 spm
- Convenient one-touch buttons
- 6-1/4″ workspace to the right of the needle
- Drop feed for free-motion techniques
Quilting is a popular form of sewing, but free motion quilting is a special skill that requires a specific type of machine. We hope with this article helped you choosing the right machine for free motion quilting. Go through the features and can make the right choice to ensure that your quilting projects are successful.
Leave a Reply